Friday, September 18, 2009

Robert & the "BRAND"


Robert's Modifications

Your Name: Robert Cameron
Your EMail Address: mailto:rcameron@bellsouth.net
Your Place of Employment: local Catholic university (let's just leave it at that!)
Your Job Title: Systems Coordinator

Which Came First, The Modification Or The Library Job?
The job -- worked in libraries since 4th grade (unpaid!) through high school, got a job as a library page at NOPL in 1974, worked in libraries ever since.

The Story Behind Your Modification:
My tattoo is a PLUS sign with a pink triangle in the middle. It indicates that I am 1) HIV+ and 2) queer as I can be. I got tired of men who found me attractive until I told them about my status and, whoosh, they were gone. If Mr. Right doesn't get the significance of the tattoo I can't be bothered with him. So far I haven't found Mr. Right, but one has to look to find something...
Where Did You Get It?
A shop called Orleans Ink Tattoos and Body Piercing on Frenchmen Street in the Fauborg Marigny of N.O. I had called another tattoo parlor on N. Rampart Street and told them I was HIV+ and they said "no problem," but when I got there no one was available to tattoo me.... Anyway, went back home, looked up Orleans Ink, called and explained, they said "no problem," so within one hour I had the tattoo (my own not-terribly-original design).
When?
Fall 1996
Why?
See above. Although I'm not a big fan of tattoos (and don't get me started about body piercings), I also "branded" myself al la William F. Buckley's suggestion from the early '80s. I am proud to be queer and not afraid to disclose my HIV status, although since it's on my upper arm I have to be wearing a tank top or sleeveless shirt for anyone to see it, but honey, in New Orleans there are many opportunities to dress minimally all year round. Virtually everyone at work has seen it (and had to have it explained in most cases) and they still offer me bites of food (a N.O. custom), hugs and kisses, babies to hold, etc. so being HIV+ is not a stigma for me at work or anywhere else. Being queer doesn't exactly rest easy with the Church so that's why I'm not including the name of my employer, although I have come out as HIV+ (in 1996) and queer (in 1997) in the campus newspaper.
Also, during that period my best friend Glenn was dying and my tattoo was, for me, a symbol of solidarity with him and everyone else affected by HIV. A CURE HAS NOT BEEN FOUND, CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF!

No comments: